- About Local Government
- Working in Councils
- Career Areas
- News and Stories
- Entry Level
Careers at Council
Be the voice of Local Government.
Effective communication with residents and businesses is vital to our success. The work you do will encourage engagement and feedback which is essential to local area strategic planning, infrastructure planning and delivery of services to the community.
Types of Roles:
Communications and Marketing Manager/Officer/Advisor
Community Engagement Officer
Social Media Officer/ Team Leader
Digital Content Producer
What we do:
Ongoing Council initiatives include:
- Developing better websites with increased functionality
- Using social media effectively including council apps
- Strengthening media relations
- Creating new digitally-focused jobs in councils
Read here how Jen moved into community engagement at council.
Tertiary qualifications in Communications, Media or Marketing are generally required for communications roles.
Relevant vocational education and training (VET) qualifications for entry-level positions are:
- Certificate III in Information Technology
- Certificate IV in Marketing and Communication
- Diploma of Marketing and Communication
- Diploma of Social Media Marketing
Some current Communications vacancies
For more job vacancies, visit Jobs
Working in Councils
The scale and diversity of work on offer in Local Government is impressive as is the direct and positive impact this work has on the communities we serve.
Is council right for you?
Local Government’s 189,000 employees have many different skills and backgrounds, but together they share certain values and attributes that enable them to succeed at Council.