Careers at Council
Parks & Sports Facilities
Local Government is proud to provide our communities with parks and sporting facilities to enjoy.
The community highly values our work in this area. Managing and maintaining our parks and sports facilities means you’ll be helping to encourage and enable community involvement and wellbeing.
What we do:
Manage and maintain:
- Parks and reserves
- Sporting fields and stadiums
- Golf courses, tennis courts, netball courts
- Swimming pools
- Sport centres, including gyms
- Camping grounds and caravan parks
Types of maintenance roles:
Parks Operations Manager
Parks and Open Space Coordinator
Types of facility and program management roles:
Recreation Centre Manager
Fitness Programs Coordinator
Educational requirements vary according to the role but degree qualifications appropriate for senior roles in the maintenance of parks and sports facilities include Applied Science (Parks Recreation and Heritage). For the management of facilities, degrees may be sought in business or sports management.
Vocational education and training (VET) qualifications are usually required for most of the roles listed above. Some are available as apprenticeships and traineeships.
Relevant VET qualifications for maintenance roles include:
- Certificate II, III in Parks and Gardens
- Certificate II, III in Conservation and Land Management
- Certificate III, IV in Arboriculture
- Certificate III, IV in Sports Turf Management
Relevant VET qualifications for managing sports programs include:
- Certificate III, IV, Diploma of Fitness
- Certificate II, III, IV in Sport Coaching
- Diploma of Sport and Recreation Management