Careers at Council
Economic development in Local Government promotes social, economic and environmental viability and sustainability to achieve the best outcomes for our communities.
Whether in mining, tourism or manufacturing, your work will ensure that councils support initiatives that create more sustainable communities. By developing a strategic approach for job creation and industry attraction, you’ll be making a real difference in your local community.
What we do:
- Draft economic development strategies that set a long-term vision and plan for economic development and ensure alignment with other strategic plans.
- Develop, manage and deliver key economic development initiatives and projects.
- Liaise with government agencies, business and investors to enhance economic development and employment opportunities across the region.
- Collate, research, analyse and present economic development and labour market data for use by Council and community.
- Business attraction
- Event creation for economic benefit e.g. markets, pop-up events, food trucks etc.
- Activation strategies to develop local economies
- Work collaboratively with other business networks, such as Chambers of Commerce to enable investment.
Types of Roles:
Economic Development Manager
Economic and Sustainability Officer
City Business Coordinator
Place and Economic Coordinators
Economic and Strategic Manager
Educational requirements will vary according to the field of work but tertiary qualifications desirable for roles in this field are:
- Degree in economics, business, marketing, planning, tourism or event management or related field.
- Small Business Management experience
- Business Advisory or Business Support roles – Small Business
Vocational education and training (VET) qualifications relevant for entry-level positions include:
- Certificate II, III, IV or Diploma in Business and / or Tourism or Event Management.
Some current Economic Development vacancies
The Universities Admission Centre
For more information about university courses visit The Universities Admission Centre.
For more information about VET courses and training providers visit My Skills.