Changing your future
About Local Government
Local Government advances the interests and provides services to communities across Australia.
There are 537 local Councils, Shires and Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Australia employing anywhere between 5 and 8,500 people, depending on the size of the council.
Mayors and councillors of Local Government Areas are elected to represent their community and approve the policies, plans and budgets that guide the work of council staff.
With a spend of around $35 billion annually, people in local government are proud to provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians each day.
Councils operate at the heart of the community and have a responsibility to ensure the future success of our regions
Councils offer so many different career options. You could be:
- Planning, building and managing local infrastructure such as roads, bridges or footpaths
- Designing, managing, improving or maintaining recreation facilities such as parks, sports fields, golf courses, sports centres, camping grounds or caravan parks
- Managing major community assets such as airports, marinas, car parks or council-owned buildings and Crown Land
- Delivering important health services such as water and food inspections, immunisations, noise and animal control
- Managing waste collection or water and sewerage services
- Protecting wetlands and coastal dunes, managing land rehabilitation or leading environmental sustainability
- Operating community care services such as child or aged care, youth and welfare
- Planning the future needs of a city, town or suburb and approving building development proposals
- Helping deliver cultural services such as libraries, art galleries, museums or organising cultural events
- Growing local tourism through visitor centres, festivals, events and markets
As you can see, there’s plenty of opportunity for your skills to find a home.
Read latest news
Here, for careers. Here, for community.Creating a future-ready workforce. Each day across the country, councils provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians. The work we undertake is as varied
Central Coast Council sets up COVID-19 task forceCentral Coast Council, which has already seen the shutdown of more than 5,000 local businesses, has established a COVID-19 Economic Task Force to help the battered economy ride the
Councils Responding to Community NeedA number of Councils have announced support packages to assist residents, business, sporting and community groups address the social, cultural and economic impacts of the COVID-19
8 Reasons to Want to Work in Local Government that are Better than "Because I want to work at Council"Next month I'll mark my fifteenth year in the workforce. Thirteen of those fifteen years I've worked in local government. My current role involves leading a department that is focused
Council and Hunter Water join forces for pioneering pathways programLake Macquarie City Council and Hunter Water have joined forces for a Hunter-first program aimed at providing better career pathways for university graduates. The program’s first intake
Council programs foster workforce transitionRecruiting for local government jobs in regional areas has its challenges, but three central Queensland councils are launching a program designed to attract civil engineers and upskill
Delivering Sustainability for the City of NewcastleAdam Clarke, Program Coordinator in the City Innovation and Sustainability team at the City of Newcastle, is making some impressive contributions to mitigating climate change. Employed
Immediate Financial Support for Bushfire Affected CommunitiesThe Morrison Government will provide an initial and immediate base payment of $1 million to 42 of the most severely bushfire impacted councils in New South Wales, Victoria, South
National human rights award for CouncilA national human rights award has been presented to Council for its role in a program to settle Ezidi refugees in the region. Council won the Government category at the Australian Human
Careers at Council
The scale and diversity of the work we do means Local Government can offer you many different career paths. If you add the ability to make a real difference in your community, you’ll agree there’s no better place to start or grow your career.
Find your Council
With over 500 local councils within Australia, the opportunities are endless. Find out what your local council can offer you today.