Changing your future
About Local Government
Local Government advances the interests and provides services to communities across Australia.
There are 537 local Councils, Shires and Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Australia employing anywhere between 5 and 8,500 people, depending on the size of the council.
Mayors and councillors of Local Government Areas are elected to represent their community and approve the policies, plans and budgets that guide the work of council staff.
With a spend of around $35 billion annually, people in local government are proud to provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians each day.
Councils operate at the heart of the community and have a responsibility to ensure the future success of our regions
Councils offer so many different career options. You could be:
- Planning, building and managing local infrastructure such as roads, bridges or footpaths
- Designing, managing, improving or maintaining recreation facilities such as parks, sports fields, golf courses, sports centres, camping grounds or caravan parks
- Managing major community assets such as airports, marinas, car parks or council-owned buildings and Crown Land
- Delivering important health services such as water and food inspections, immunisations, noise and animal control
- Managing waste collection or water and sewerage services
- Protecting wetlands and coastal dunes, managing land rehabilitation or leading environmental sustainability
- Operating community care services such as child or aged care, youth and welfare
- Planning the future needs of a city, town or suburb and approving building development proposals
- Helping deliver cultural services such as libraries, art galleries, museums or organising cultural events
- Growing local tourism through visitor centres, festivals, events and markets
As you can see, there’s plenty of opportunity for your skills to find a home.
Read latest news
Attract the talent you need with Careers at CouncilBuilding a great future for local government means building a great workforce. Developed by local government, for local government, Careers at Council is an online careers hub that
IT’s never boring at Randwick City CouncilNo day is the same for Anthony Collis, Randwick City Council’s Manager Information Management and Technology. Along with his team of over 20 staff, Anthony is responsible for the
5 reasons you’ll achieve more with a career at councilWhether you’re a career advisor guiding your students towards a rewarding and successful future, or a parent helping your child understand their study and career options, you’ll find
Council redeploys staff to food charityBlacktown Council staff who found themselves underemployed as COVID caused venue shutdowns and event cancellations have been redeployed working for a charity that supplies food for
Scholarships available with CSU for Community Leadership and ResilienceIn the wake of COVID-19, bushfires, floods, and drought, three Mid North Coast councils have joined forces with Charles Sturt University to create and train a skilled network of local
Here, for careers. Here, for community.Creating a future-ready workforce. Each day across the country, councils provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians. The work we undertake is as varied
Central Coast Council sets up COVID-19 task forceCentral Coast Council, which has already seen the shutdown of more than 5,000 local businesses, has established a COVID-19 Economic Task Force to help the battered economy ride the
Councils Responding to Community NeedA number of Councils have announced support packages to assist residents, business, sporting and community groups address the social, cultural and economic impacts of the COVID-19
8 Reasons to Want to Work in Local Government that are Better than "Because I want to work at Council"Next month I'll mark my fifteenth year in the workforce. Thirteen of those fifteen years I've worked in local government. My current role involves leading a department that is focused
Careers at Council
The scale and diversity of the work we do means Local Government can offer you many different career paths. If you add the ability to make a real difference in your community, you’ll agree there’s no better place to start or grow your career.
Find your Council
With over 500 local councils within Australia, the opportunities are endless. Find out what your local council can offer you today.