Changing your future
About Local Government
Local Government advances the interests and provides services to communities across Australia.
There are 537 local Councils, Shires and Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Australia employing anywhere between 5 and 8,500 people, depending on the size of the council.
Mayors and councillors of Local Government Areas are elected to represent their community and approve the policies, plans and budgets that guide the work of council staff.
With a spend of around $35 billion annually, people in local government are proud to provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians each day.
Councils operate at the heart of the community and have a responsibility to ensure the future success of our regions
Councils offer so many different career options. You could be:
- Planning, building and managing local infrastructure such as roads, bridges or footpaths
- Designing, managing, improving or maintaining recreation facilities such as parks, sports fields, golf courses, sports centres, camping grounds or caravan parks
- Managing major community assets such as airports, marinas, car parks or council-owned buildings and Crown Land
- Delivering important health services such as water and food inspections, immunisations, noise and animal control
- Managing waste collection or water and sewerage services
- Protecting wetlands and coastal dunes, managing land rehabilitation or leading environmental sustainability
- Operating community care services such as child or aged care, youth and welfare
- Planning the future needs of a city, town or suburb and approving building development proposals
- Helping deliver cultural services such as libraries, art galleries, museums or organising cultural events
- Growing local tourism through visitor centres, festivals, events and markets
As you can see, there’s plenty of opportunity for your skills to find a home.
Read latest news
National local government award winners announcedCouncils across the nation have been recognised for their ingenuity in delivering programs to benefit their communities at this year’s National Awards for Local Government. Two of the
Where there is water, there is life.This is certainly true for Kent Harris, Water and Waste Superintendent for Moree Plains Shire Council. Kent plays an integral role in the delivery of a clean, regular water supply and
Smashing a Few Glass CeilingsCasey Smith, Moree Plains Shire Council’s Parks and Open Space Superintendent, celebrated ten years with Council in February 2020 and has paved a unique path to the top, while smashing
Victor Zhou: An Asset to the City of Canterbury BankstownLocated 13kms south west of Sydney’s CBD, the City of Canterbury Bankstown covers an area of 110 km 2 and serves one of the most culturally, socially and economically diverse
An award-winning start with a Career at Council.Councils across the country are giving young people a great start in their career by offering traineeships and apprenticeships to many hundreds of school students and school leavers. We
Attract the talent you need with Careers at CouncilBuilding a great future for local government means building a great workforce. Developed by local government, for local government, Careers at Council is an online careers hub that
IT’s never boring at Randwick City CouncilNo day is the same for Anthony Collis, Randwick City Council’s Manager Information Management and Technology. Along with his team of over 20 staff, Anthony is responsible for the
5 reasons you’ll achieve more with a career at councilWhether you’re a career advisor guiding your students towards a rewarding and successful future, or a parent helping your child understand their study and career options, you’ll find
Council redeploys staff to food charityBlacktown Council staff who found themselves underemployed as COVID caused venue shutdowns and event cancellations have been redeployed working for a charity that supplies food for
Careers at Council
The scale and diversity of the work we do means Local Government can offer you many different career paths. If you add the ability to make a real difference in your community, you’ll agree there’s no better place to start or grow your career.
Find your Council
With over 500 local councils within Australia, the opportunities are endless. Find out what your local council can offer you today.