Catchment and Land Management Officer
Closes: 28 May
We are seeking someone with a passion for water quality, the environment, land and catchment management to join our Water Treatment and Catchments team.
This newly created role will see you working with our Engineer Treatment and Catchment to plan and coordinate appropriate aquatic and land management activities to ensure the management for our water supply catchments, associated lands and waterways addressing Tweed Shire Council risks, regulatory requirements and potential returns.
You will coordinate and manage contracts with contractors as well as consultants related to catchment and land management activities. You will provide strategic advice on matters relating to catchment and land management to the Water and Wastewater Units and other areas of the business.
The position is suitable to those who enjoy a diversity of work in both outdoor and office environments combining computer based and active work activities. The successful candidate must have good communication skills and the ability to maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
About the role:
The Water and Wastewater Operations Unit at Tweed Shire Council manages 287 land parcels with a total land area of 27.4392 km; or 2,743.9 Hectares. This land is associated with the organisation’s water supply catchments (mainly in the Doon Doon/Clarrie Hall Dam and Byrrill Creek areas). This land is a combination of farms, plantations and forests. The unit also manages Tyalgum and Bray Park Weirs including adjacent lands and abutments.
The position plans, coordinates and manages the implementation of a program of suitable sustainable land and waterway management practices to ensure that associated risks, regulatory requirements and potential returns are managed appropriately. Elements to be coordinated and managed include:
- Water Security and Fire Risk Controls (including fire access trails)
- Water Quality risk controls including pollution, sedimentation and animal controls
- Weed and Pest Control (including aquatic weeds within the dam and waterways)
- Timber Plantations and potential future koala food tree plantations
- Farming land including grazing leases, slashing and bailing contracts, fencing and access
- Recreational land and facilities including associated buildings and amenities
- Land revegetation and regeneration
- Aboriginal Heritage Sites
- Environmentally significant areas.
What's on offer:
- An attractive base salary ranging from $74,202 per annum with competency based increments up to $87,893 per annum, plus 10% super
- 38 hour week, 9 day fortnight
- Training and development opportunities
- Flexible work options for a healthy work/life balance
- Generous employment conditions (we have too many to list - click here for more).
We are seeking:
- Minimum Diploma in Natural Resource Management, Land Management, Environmental Sciences or similar relevant qualifications applicable to the role outlined.
- Extensive experience in the area of Catchment and Land management.
- Experience in contract and project management.
- Located on the picturesque far North Coast of NSW, bordering the Gold Coast.
- Tweed Heads is a vibrant, diverse location offering a lifestyle near the water, in a rainforest or on a farm.
- Tweed Shire Council is committed to employment equity and diversity and encourages applications from people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds in both traditional and non-traditional roles.
- Join an employer of choice. Professionals Australia (Local Government Engineers’ Association) has named Council the 2021 Employer of Choice for our great employment practices within NSW local government.
Where it's located:
This position is based at the Bray Park Water Treatment Plant, Murwillumbah, NSW and can be directed to work from any Council work site.
Friday 27 May 2022 at 12 noon sharp (NSW time). Late applications will not be permitted.
Tweed Shire Council conducts pre-employment assessments as part of its recruitment process. Click here for more information.
How To Apply
You must use your own email address, and not one used previously by another person that has applied for a position with council.
Once you start your online application, you cannot save and return to it later.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields.
- Have your Resume document ready to go.
- Fill out all questions below. Click 'Next'. For tips on how to address the selection criteria, click here
- You'll then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable). Click 'Next'.
- Review your application to confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to submit your application.
If you'd like to COPY and PASTE selection criteria fields into a separate Word document to work on over time, please find them listed below:
- Minimum Diploma in Natural Resource Management, Land Management, Environmental Sciences or similar equivalent qualification with relevant extensive experience in catchment management, land management or natural resource management.
- Demonstrated experience in the principles of land management.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in waterway management.
- Outline the legislation you believe would be relevant to the role and describe your working knowledge of this legislation.
- Demonstrated experience in coordination and management of projects and contracts including examples.
- Demonstrated knowledge of WHS obligations and describe how you have ensured safe work practises in contractors and projects you have managed.
- Effective communications and with a diverse range of people.
- Current Vehicle Licence – Car.
- Demonstrated experience in water supply catchment management.
- Demonstrated experience in dam and weir operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislative requirements relating to water treatment and dams, including, NSW Department of Health and Australian Drinking Water Guidelines and Environmental protection Licences.
OFFICE USE ONLYUnit Water & Wastewater - Operations Job Grade 6 Industry Water & Wastewater Employment Type Full-time