Changing your future
Local Government advances the interests and provides services to communities across Australia.
There are 537 local Councils, Shires and Local Government Areas (LGAs) across Australia employing anywhere between 5 and 8,500 people, depending on the size of the council.
Mayors and councillors of Local Government Areas are elected to represent their community and approve the policies, plans and budgets that guide the work of council staff.
With a spend of around $35 billion annually, people in local government are proud to provide services that positively impact the lives of millions of Australians each day.
Councils operate at the heart of the community and have a responsibility to ensure the future success of our regions
Councils offer so many different career options. You could be:
- Planning, building and managing local infrastructure such as roads, bridges or footpaths
- Designing, managing, improving or maintaining recreation facilities such as parks, sports fields, golf courses, sports centres, camping grounds or caravan parks
- Managing major community assets such as airports, marinas, car parks or council-owned buildings and Crown Land
- Delivering important health services such as water and food inspections, immunisations, noise and animal control
- Managing waste collection or water and sewerage services
- Protecting wetlands and coastal dunes, managing land rehabilitation or leading environmental sustainability
- Operating community care services such as child or aged care, youth and welfare
- Planning the future needs of a city, town or suburb and approving building development proposals
- Helping deliver cultural services such as libraries, art galleries, museums or organising cultural events
- Growing local tourism through visitor centres, festivals, events and markets
As you can see, there’s plenty of opportunity for your skills to find a home.
A fulfilling career and lifestyle to match
Introducing Samantha Barnes, Project Manager, Water & Waste Water – Bega Valley Shire Council A DIVERSE CAREER LEADS TO THE CANBERRA REGION With extensive Project Management experience
Enjoying the Best of Both Worlds
Q&A with Business Manager Planning & Development, Goulburn Mulwaree Council - Stephanie Mowle Q. You’ve worked in local government for 18 years, are you able to take us through your
Trading a lengthy commute, for a ten-minute walk to work
Q&A with Land Use Planner, Hilltops Council – Bill Vanry Q. How long have you lived in the Canberra region and what inspired the move? A. I moved to Hilltops with my family just over
Supporting Council’s Biggest Asset, its People
Introducing Jane Wray, Administration Officer, Human Resources, Goulburn Mulwaree Council Growing up in Crookwell and working as the Fruit and Vegetable Manager at her local supermarket
Persistence and drive underpin a successful engineering career
Q&A with Manager Engineering Technical Services, Bland Shire Council – Jamie Harwood Q. Can you tell us a little about how your local government engineering career began? I grew up in
A Welcomed Change of Pace
Introducing Stacy Moses, Director of Planning and Community Development, Junee Shire Council. Five years ago, after a 25-year career as an Immigration Lawyer in Sydney, Stacy Moses made
Discovering a Sense of Space and Place
Introducing Wendy Reichelt, Riverina Water Governance and Records Officer COMMUNITY RESPECT AND UNDERSTANDING When Riverina Water’s Governance and Records Officer, Wendy Reichelt
A Planning Career with a Difference
Q&A with Senior Strategic Planner, Wagga Wagga City Council - Crystal Atkinson Q. How long have you lived in the Riverina region? A. I grew up one-hour north of Wagga in Cootamundra. I
Engineering a sustainable future for Mosman
Introducing Polly Makim, Senior Projects Engineer at Mosman Council. FAR MORE THAN ROADS AND STORMWATER From starting as a Graduate Traffic Engineer over 14 years ago, Polly Makim has
Creating an inspiring, innovative space for the community
You can’t help but be inspired when you meet Linda Horswell, Manager Library Services, Mosman Library. With a career history spanning academic and local government libraries both here
Building a sustainable future in the Mid-West of WA
Q&A with Vin Fordham Lamont, CEO, Shire of Carnamah Nestled in the Mid-West of Western Australia, just two hours from Perth, and 90kms from the coast, the Shire of Carnamah is home to a
Careers at Council
The scale and diversity of the work we do means Local Government can offer you many different career paths. If you add the ability to make a real difference in your community, you’ll agree there’s no better place to start or grow your career.
Find your Council
With over 500 local councils within Australia, the opportunities are endless. Find out what your local council can offer you today.